Geraldine Swayne is a London-based artist and filmmaker.
She studied Fine Art at Newcastle University, graduating in 1989. She she won a Northern Arts Travel award in 1990 to paint and make super-8 films about Voodoo in New Orleans and later in 1991 moved to Languedoc in France. Between 1991 to 2005 she became a pioneer special effects designer, working at Computer Film Company in London and Los Angeles. In 1999, she also made the world’s first super-8 to Imax film East End, narrated by Miriam Margolyes, with music by Nick Cave, which has been screened at festivals worldwide. After leaving the film industry she worked for Jake and Dinos Chapman rebuilding 'Hell'.
Although better known as a painter in 2005 she became a member of seminal krautrock group Faust, touring and performing with them throughout Europe and the USA. More recently she performed live painting and drawing shows with FAUST at the Wrexner Centre for the Arts in Ohio and the Detroit Museum of Contemporary Art, and CalArts.
FRED LONDON, London - May 2013
- Solo show of new paintings.
B1, London - October 2013
- "The Future Can Wait" with Saachi Gallery and Channel 4 New Sensations.
ROYAL ACADEMY, London - June 2013
- Summer exhibition
VOLTA, New York, Barcelona and MIAMI Art Fairs
NEUE KUNST FROTH KUNSTHALLE, Brighton - January 2013
- "****" group show curated by Alex and Kate Lyddon
LION AND LAMB GALLERY, London - January 2013
- 'Soul Meat' group show curated by Lee Maelzer for Marcus Harvey's project space.
HERRICK GALLERY, London - June 2012
- "Plate" group show curated by Alice Herrick
CONTEMPORY FINE ART, Berlin - Sept 2011
- Performance and live painting show, curated by PanthaduPrince at
Victorio Manalese project space.
CHARLIE DUTTON GALLERY, London - December 2011
- Group show selected by Matthew Collings, Toby Clarke, Dan Hays and Mike Silva.
VICTOR WYND GALLERY, London - December 2011
- Group show 'Glitterbug', curated by Alice Herrick.
FOUR CORNERS GALLERY, London - November 2011
- Group show of experimental film material 'Closer to Something' .
FREEDOM BOOKSHOP, Whitechapel, London - Nov 2011
- Group show 'Pikea" curated by Mark Hammond.
WALKER GALLERY LIVERPOOL, JOHN MOORE PAINTING PRIZE 2010
REDCHURCH GALLERY, Redchurch Street, London - Sept 2010
- Frieze week group show 'Fresh Cream', curated by 'Opus Fine Art.
NO:ID GALLERY, WHITECHAPEL, London - August 2009
- 'Squeeze-Box', solo show of new paintings and drawings.
WREXNER CENTRE, USA - October 2009
- Live music and painting performance as part of experimental group 'Faust'. The paintings were made on stage as part of the performance.
BARBICAN GALLERY, London - 2009
- 'free Art Fair' curated by Jasper Joffe.
ST JOHN'S CHURCH, Bethnal Green, London - December 2009
- Premier of my film 'The Go-Between Again' in 'Ghost 2' group show curated by Sarah Sparkes.
DETROIT MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART, USA - October 2009
- Short residency. Conducted workshops using paintings as an installation. Also live music and painting performances with 'Faust'.
CALVERT22 GALLERY, London - July 2008
- Co-curated and showed work at the gallery's opening exhibition 'Fresh Air Machine'.
L-13 LIGHT INDUSTRIAL GALLERY, LONDON - NOV 2007
- 'Cracks in Time' solo painting show.
BROWN GALLERY, Hoxton Square, London - Febuary 2010
- "Gabriel Hartley, Rannva Kunoy and Luke Rudolf invited one artist each who has then invited another, and so on, to a total of 36"