Open Call for Artists: Contemporary Art + Ritual
The Crypt Gallery, St Pancras Church, London - 16-21 May 2019
Rituals are a feature of all human societies. For some rituals are inextricably associated with religious practice; for others a ritual is an action performed on a regular basis – personal or cultural. This is an Open Call to participate in an experimental exhibition exploring how ritual in the broadest sense manifests itself today.
- This is an artist-led opportunity. We are looking for 10 fellow contemporary artists to join us.
- All mediums considered – painting, sculpture, film, sound, installation and performance.
- Participating artists will be selected by the organisers/curators who will also participate in the show.
Participation fee: £120 payable only by selected artists and the two organising artists. All funds will be used to cover exhibition costs. No profit will be made by the organisers.
This is an opportunity to:
- team up with ambitious artists
- show high quality work in a beautiful atmospheric setting in central London
- benefit from a marketing/media campaign
- be a part of an experimental exhibition investigating an important facet of human life today.
- feature in the catalogue / website
- co-host a PV (drinks included)
- sell work with no commission
Things to consider when applying:
- Artwork will need to be installed by you over one day and taken down in one day. For performance works, participation can be for any duration: periodic or continuous.
- This is a DIY event. All artists are expected to participate in a spirit of cooperation, installing their own work and clearing up after themselves and helping with invigilation and the PV. You will need to bring your own tools, helpers and all equipment necessary for installing the work e.g. cables, monitors, hanging hardware etc.
- Artists need to be insured.
- Venue environment – being underground the Crypt is relatively damp. Work using paper or any medium negatively affected by damp should be avoided.
- The venue also has its own requirements – see exhibition website for details.
How to enter
Entry is by email application only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All entries must be received by 6pm on 21 January 2019
Please submit the following on one PDF file (file no larger than 5mb, title your file CA-R-your name)
- A summary of your proposal (maximum 50 words).
- An outline of your proposal for new or existing work, including dimensions (maximum 200 words).
- Artist statement with links to website and social media (maximum 150 words).
- A maximum of 5 images related to your proposal. Current work or work in progress is fine.
- For film work: please only submit an extract or showreel (max. 5 minutes) via a link to Vimeo or Youtube. All screening / projection equipment including cables/extension leads during exhibition must be provided by the artist.
- A current CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Confirmation of insurance
21 January 2019 All entries must be received by 6pm
4 February 2019 Artists informed of result of application
22 February 2019 Artists’ exhibition contribution payment must be received by 5pm
15 April 2019 Copy and pictures for catalogue and website update must be received
15 May 2019 Delivery and set-up from 9am-9pm
16 May 2019 Exhibition opens from 10am | Private View 6-9pm
17-20 May 2019 Exhibition Opens Daily 10am-6pm *
21 May 2019 Exhibition Opens 10am-2pm | Take down and tidy up work from 2pm.
All work must be removed by 6pm
*Invigilating shared among artists
We look forward to receiving your proposals and to a really fruitful and interesting collaboration.
For more info and full details on how to apply visit: https://artandritual.wixsite.com/mysite/open-call