What is it?
Funding for artists, artistic groups and artist-led organisations to undertake the research, development and creation of new work to enable a step-change in their practice and profile.
The Jerwood New Work Fund provides funding for the research, development, creation, production and dissemination of new work, with a focus on developing artistic practice.
It aims to advance artistic practice by encouraging applicants to investigate the creative process and take risks that lead to the development of unique new works destined to connect with a public audience.
This fund is focused on the initial creation process, but can support the full artistic cycle from the initial idea through to presentation. As with all our work, the priority is to support artists, curators and/or producers’ professional development, so we expect all proposals to demonstrate a significant step-change in their practice and/or career growth. We are comfortable not knowing what the outcome might be at the application stage.
We particularly welcome applications for:
- innovative research and development processes
- diverse cross-art form investigations
- new collaborations and/or cross-art form partnerships
- new work on a new scale for the applicant(s)
- new work outside institutional contexts
- new work that challenges existing practices
We look forward to being surprised and challenged.
What can you apply for?
You can apply for between £5,000 and £25,000 for:
- artistic research
- making and creation
- project development
- R&D processes
- production, presentation and dissemination
We will not fund applications that focus solely on public outcomes and do not include significant artistic development and learning process for the artists involved.
Timeframes and deadlines for 2019
Guidance for Jerwood New Work Fund published: 23 January 2019
Fund opens for applications: 4 March 2019
Advice sessions (by appointment*): 16 May 2019
Applications must be received by: 5pm, 3 June 2019
Decisions will be communicated by: 27 July 2019
As well as the guidance on this page, we have created Jerwood New Work Fund and General FAQs. This covers the most common questions arising and are updated regularly, so please read them.
*If you have a question after reading the guidance and FAQs, please send it by email to email@example.com.
Across all our activity, individuals receiving our support must be:
- practising artists, curators and/or producers
- within the first ten years of starting a professional practice (see FAQ for details)
- willing to be bold and take risks
- living and working in the UK and committed to making a positive contribution to the UK arts sector
- outside formal education
In addition for the Jerwood New Work Fund, you can apply if you are:
- an individual artist, curator or producer
- a member of a group of artists, curators and/or producers, the majority of whom are within the first ten years of establishing their practice
- an artist-led organisation and the majority of lead artists, curators and/or producers are within the first ten years of establishing their practice
We welcome applications:
- from those with and without formal education or qualifications
- from previous applicants, as well as those who have not applied before
- if you work in any discipline and/or across disciplines
- if your situation, background and/or identity is currently under-supported across the art sector, including but not limited to under-represented BAME backgrounds, LGBTQ+ identities, gender identities, socio-economic backgrounds, those with disabilities and those with caring responsibilities
We are committed to making our funding accessible to all and supporting applicants facing barriers to apply. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us what you need to enable you to apply.