FORWARD is seeking submissions from visual artists of all disciplines (18+), who are interested in presenting high quality, thought provoking work exploring the theme of Hidden Scars for an exhibition which will be held at the Darnley Gallery, Hackney, opening Friday 24th November and running until Friday 15th December 2017. The exhibition will be open for the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence.
Artists are invited to explore harmful practices such as FGM, Child Marriage and other similar issues affecting African girls and women, both in Africa and in the global African diaspora.
The theme of Hidden Scars aims to highlight the physical and mental trauma suffered by many women
due to these practices, to share works that inspire hope, focus on the strength of survival and also to
celebrate African girls and women.
We encourage submissions from BAME artists in particular women of African heritage.
Who we are: FORWARD is an African-led, women’s rights organisation. Our work focuses on responding to female genital mutilation (FGM), child marriage, and other forms of violence against women and girls (VAWG) that impact on the health, dignity and wellbeing of African women and girls. We work to enable community members, key professionals and policymakers to bring about social and policy change through strategic networks and partnerships.
Our vision: We are working for the day when African girls and women will live in dignity, are healthy,
have choices and enjoy equal rights free from fear of gender violence.
FORWARD’s philosophy is always to strive to portray such sensitive and shocking issues in ways which never undermine the dignity of those who have been affected by these issues: instead we aim to celebrate the strength of African girls and women for surviving and/or fighting to end such practices.
1. All artworks must be no larger than: 2D works - 42 x 42 cms and for 3D works - 80 x 80 x 80 cms.
Digital work may be considered but please bear in mind that the Darnley Gallery is comprised of
a pleasant but relatively compact space and connected courtyard. As such sculpture will also be
considered to display in the courtyard, so the piece would need to be suitable for outdoors.
Should your work be selected for exhibition you will be required to deliver the artwork to the gallery
and also collect it.
2. Submissions deadline: 6.00pm, 16th October
3. You will be informed if your work is accepted or not by 30th October
4. Artists should include the following information with all submissions
by email to Naomi: email@example.com :
- Name and contact details.
- Title of work, photos of the work + short description (100 words maximum)
- A short bio with all social media links to your work
- Specify the form of media- (painting, drawing,print, sculpture, kinetic, digital etc.)
- Dimensions of your work
- Notification if the work is a donation or to be exhibited for sale on a commission basis. Price (40% commission, all proceeds to FORWARD)
- £5 handling fee per work, (maximum 4 entries per artist) Please pay this though our website here.