In July 2018, GDIF will stage a spellbinding, large-scale outdoor dance theatre adaptation of Jonathan Harvey’s seminal play Beautiful Thing. The production will be performed in Thamesmead, South East London, using the iconic architecture where the story was conceived, and as featured in the 1996 film adaptation. 2018 marks the 50th anniversary of Thamesmead, and this will be the last use of these iconic buildings before they are redeveloped as part of a major regeneration scheme.
We are looking for 25-30 performance participants to take part in this exciting show, which is directed by GDIF’s own Bradley Hemmings and Robby Graham (Angels in America, National Theatre). While you must be comfortable with some light movement, we are looking for people of all abilities.
Requirements for the role:
- It’s great if you can sign up to a minimum of three shifts. This will help us to build cohesive teams during the festival, and you will get more from the experience overall (shifts are not necessarily a whole day, often volunteering is spread over the day and evening time)
- You must be 18 years old or over to volunteer
- Able to take direction from the GDIF staff team
- GDIF prides itself on being an accessible event, and we expect all volunteers to promote and take an active role in ensuring access for all audience members and volunteers during the event
- We need people that are friendly and outgoing
- It’s great if you have some enthusiasm for the arts and being outdoors
- Able to work as part of a team
- Be comfortable with light movement
All volunteers will be given full support and supervision throughout their volunteering period. We provide a Volunteer Induction a couple of weeks before the festival which all volunteers are strongly encouraged to attend.
We aim to make volunteering with GDIF accessible to all, so if you let us know of any needs you may require support with we will endeavour to accommodate this.
We are happy to reimburse travel and refreshment expenses as a flat fee of £5 or £10 per day. As we are a charity, please request the amount that corresponds with how much you have spent on travel and refreshments.
If you would like more information on how to apply for this role, please get in touch with GDIF 2018 Volunteer Coordinator Harry Forshaw, using the email below, who will be able to send you some more information