Here East are seeking artists, makers and creative shakes to design and build a festive installation to sit at the heart of our Steel Mill Reception space this winter.
Here East Festive Brief
This brief is open to everyone, from established makers to students and new artists. We would like you to design an installation that ties together the ethos at Here East with the festive / winter season.
This is a great opportunity to promote local talent and a blank canvas for any artist to showcase their work. The installation can use any medium, from traditional sculpture and crafts to digital projections. We would strong recommend you visit the site to see the space available and gauge the feel of the Steel Mill Reception, as well as the practicalities involved in building an installation for the space.
There is £2,000 budget for the commission. The fee is expected to cover artist and designer fees, installation, equipment rental, transporting and delivering the installed piece and any additional expenses.
Consideration and themes
Themes to consider; innovation, Christmas, festivities, winter, metal industry, technology, steel, structure, makers, local and community.
Your design needs to consider the following:
- The aesthetics of the reception and the Here East environment
- The scale and proportion of the reception space
- Hard wearing design that demonstrates secure fixtures
- Adhere to Here East's health and safety requirements
- Preference should be given to recycled and environmentally friendly materials wherever possible
- Ideally the installation would be re-useable at future Here East events or donated to the local community
Your proposal should include the following and be no more than 4 pages:
- Include sketches / diagrams / images to illustrate your ideas
- Indicates the materials you propose to use
- A clear description of your proposed project including how your work would encourage interaction
- Your portfolio or any links to similar existing work
- A costed budget detailing how you will allocate the funds provided
- A suggestion of how the space around the installation could be animated, eg. through projections or artowkr on the floor.
Please submit your proposal to Jasel Nandha, Community and Partnerships Manager, by midday on Friday 18 August.
Please email proposals to: email@example.com
This commission is open to individuals or collaborative groups, and invites both established artists and new talent to apply. The project aims to encourage local creatives to work with Here East and build something extraordinary to celebrate the festive season.
The Steel Mill Reception at Here East
Here East is a vibrant technology hub, where creativity meets scale. We're home to established names and nimble startups alike, bringing together tech, media, education and data in the pursuit of innovation.
Known as 'London's home for making', Here East is passionate about working with the local community, encouraging existing and future tenants to engage with the diverse talent available in east London.
The Steel Mill Reception at Here East is a three story high, industrial atrium encompassing steel and wood, themed around the history of makers and industry. It is the ideal environment for a festive installation, representing the relationship between creativity, technology and local innovation.